Thursday, May 12, 2011

Apricot Glazed Hen with Plum and Juniper Stuffing

I love Dave Lieberman. His recipes are beautiful, simple, and interesting. In that spirit I found a recipe of his for Apricot Glazed Chicken, and wanted to try it out. I even tracked down dried plums - almost impossible to find in my area, for some reason - at a roadside stand in southern California. But, as my food plans often go, ingredients changed and processes shifted; I saw Cornish hens on sale at the grocery store, then I found juniper berries for an insanely cheap price. What I ended up with is this, an homage to one of my favorite chefs.


First, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. The stuffing is a mixture of chopped dried plums, juniper berries (eight or ten per hen is all you'll need, crushed under a knife) and chopped fresh sage. Add salt and pepper to taste, then a teaspoon or so of good olive oil to bring it all together. You'll need about a cup of the mixture for each bird you're cooking. Stuff the hens, tie the legs together with cooking twine, and place them in a baking dish.


Meanwhile, in a small saucepan combine a cup of apricot preserves with a few roughly chopped dried plums, five or so crushed juniper berries and a few sage leaves. Heat this mixture over medium heat until liquid. At this point you can add a tablespoon or so of Grand Marnier, an orange liqueur, then remove from the heat and let cool slightly. The glaze will be chunky and rustic - spoon it on the hens, then put them in the oven. Bake the hens for one hour, basting every ten or fifteen minutes. Hens are done when skin is crisp, dark brown and juices run clear when thigh is pierced.


Served simply over quickly blanched asparagus or haricots vert, the rustic juniper and sage flavors combine with the sweet plums and apricot preserves for an unforgettable gastronomic experience. I hope Dave is proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...