Sunday, January 3, 2010

Braised Chuck Roast with Lentils


A few weeks ago I bought a four dollar bottle of wine that changed my life. Dark, dry and full of tannins, it was a wine that worked perfectly for me - a wine strong enough to compete with lamb and beef, but drinkable enough to enjoy on its own.


Recoleta is a Malbec/Bonarda blend. The bottle describes it as "a full-bodied smooth red, full of blackberry and raspberry flavors with a hint of spice." I call it amazing. The first time I took a sip, I was convinced: this is not just a great red for drinking. No, this wine aspires to more. This wine was born to braise.


And so, after a long arduous day of shopping I was in the mood for some braised lamb. Turns out Fresh & Easy was all out of my preferred quadruped, so I reached for a beef chuck roast, mainly because it was the cheapest cut they had. Actually, including the bottle of wine, it cost me a grand total of $17.34 for the ingredients, of which I only used half. We'll see what I come up with for the rest tomorrow.


Anyway, on to the beef. Braising is a simple process. Brown the roast on both sides in a very hot pan with a little olive oil. I placed halved roma tomatoes cut side down in the pan when I turned the beef over and let them cook a bit as well. The tomatoes add a great acidity to the dish and are served along side the beef. If you have an aversion to tomatoes, please stop reading and immediately seek therapy. Then, try substituting a bit of balsamic vinegar for the tomatoes.


When the meat is browned remove it from the pan and set aside. I added a half a red onion, sliced, and a couple cloves of minced garlic. Cook until the onions are soft, just short of caramelized. Place the beef and the tomatoes back into the pan and pour in the wine till it comes about halfway up the side of the beef. Any higher than that and this would be called 'Stewed Chuck Roast with Lentils.'


Speaking of lentils, now is a good time to get those started. Lentils are traditional Italian fare for the new year so I thought it was fitting. The cooking process is even simpler than the braising: just add two cups of water to one cup of lentils and cook until the liquid has been absorbed. At the end the lentils will pop open and soften. Resist the tempation to add salt while cooking, as it makes the lentils tough. You can season after.


After about fifteen minutes of braising the beef should be done. Remove it and the tomatoes and set aside. Strain the braising liquid to remove any onions and garlic, then turn the heat up to high and reduce the liquid to a sauce. Assemble thusly: roast, tomatoes and lentils go on the plate first, some of the neat purple onions over the lot, then the amazing wine sauce on top. It tastes more difficult to make than it is.


And of course, try the Recoleta, it's the best four bucks you'll ever spend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...